Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chiffon skirt with elastic waist band

Hy guys! Today I will shoe you how to make this cute little skirt. No zipper nedded :)


Materials nedded:
1. wide elastic
2. chiffon or other fabric you want to use
3. sewing machine with satin foot
4. an overcast foot or a serger

WARNING!! Lots of pictures.

1. Measure a piece of elastic to fit your wist unstreached and leave some seam allowance.


2. Take your fabric and cut a piece to the lenght you want your skirt to be and leave the whole width of the fabric. My chiffon was really see through and I ended up using 3 pieces of different lenghts.


3.Sew the elastic using a small zig-zag stitch and finish of seam allowances like in the pictures. Don't forget to knot your thread ends.



4. Sew your piece of fabric into a tube (like in the diagram) and finish of the top edge with the overcast foot or the serger.


5. If you're using more pieces of fabric sew them all together at the top as shown below. I sewed them at 0.5 cm from the top.



6. Sew a basting stitch on your elastic with the elastic stretch at maximum. I sewed mine at 1 cm from the bottom of the elastic. This will guide you later.


7. Now start dividing you elastic into equal parts. 

First into 2.

Then into 4 (match the first 2 pins).

And so on until you get...

...this. I got 16 pins in the elastic. Depending on your waist you can get more or less.

8. Do the same thing with the skirt


9. Now match the pins on the elastic and the skirt and pin the skirt to the elastic up to the basting stitch you made earlier.
back

front

10. You will get something like this.



If you stretch the elastic you'll get something like this. And this is how you will sew it.

11. Now sew the skirt to the elastic using a wide zig-zag stitch at the widest stitch lenght, with the elastic streatch to match the fabric.

my settings on my sewing machine

this is how it is in the front

and this is the back

12. Now take out the basting stitch from the elastic and finish off the hem however you like it to. But I finished my hem with a scalloped edge like this:

the settings on the machine 
(I worked with the settings until I found the ones that were ok with me and the fabric)


and then I hand cutted around the edge. 
It looks messy here because it's a close up but if you're wearing it it doesn't even shows.

I hope I was clear enough. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask me.

I also made a maxi skirt using this method and I got lots of compliments.


If you use this tutorial please send me a pic or a link. I would love to see what you make.

Love and kisses,

1 comment:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for all the pics! You've made this very simple for me ! I can't wait to make my skirt!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...